Friday, September 24, 2010

The writing process

Ah, the good old topic of process. It never gets old, does it?

Today, we talked about the writing process, specifically the daily writing. I have my students commit to daily writing --it doesn't have to be long; it can be as short as 10 minutes or as long as, well, as they feel like. I have no way of checking their work, but that's not the point. Those who are committed to developing and improving their writing skills will practice daily.

I checked in with the class today, to see how the writing was going. The problem that some are having with the daily writing is that it's repetitive. Some are writing about the same things: what went on in their days, who did what, etc. Nothing new was really happening --both in their daily lives and in their writing. I made a few suggestions on how to change it up, but I wanted to start out my first post by asking you, my audience, for some ways to approach the practice and exercise of daily writing.

What've you got?

1 comment:

  1. Um, I am not a writing-lover though I do it for a living, so I'm no help. Maybe they can focus on what was DIFFERENT today instead of what was the SAME? Or what they would've LIKED to have happened today or how today could've been better/worse/whatever? Clearly, I am only a scientific writer! Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete